Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Generosity Doesn't Come Easy for Some. My 100 word essay

Generosity Doesn't Come Easy for Some.
Yesterday, I watched as a homeless man asked a lady for her doggie bag as she exited a restaurant. She seemed angry and walked away.
How desperate he must have been to ask for a doggie bag-someone's half-eaten lunch. I gave him my lunch and he thanked me.
He looked so hungry, and that lady's refusal to help made my heart sink. He wasn't asking for money, just something to eat.
Sometimes it takes so little to make things easier for others.

I wrote the above story and it appeared in the Sacramento Bee Newspaper as an "I'm Just Saying" 100-word essay.

I have an extremely large soft spot for the homeless; I always have. How can it be ok for people, human beings, to sleep in a doorway on a cold, wintry night? I am really bothered by this and I wish I could help them. I get irritated if my blankets are crooked; they would be happy to have a blanket, crooked or not. I hate to see others suffer and it makes me sad. I wish I could fix the homeless problem, but I don't know how and I don't think I can. I can only wish that they are all ok and survive another night on the streets. Maybe someday, good things will happen and they will have a nice house with lots of extra blankets that they can share with others.
(c)2007 Cindy Breninger. All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This truly is a sad story. I have always had compassion for the homeless, maybe because there was a time in my early childhood, when my mother and I were practically homeless. People tend to forget that hunger and homelessness doesn’t judge. It could be anybody, the man who asked for her half eaten lunch, was somebody’s father, brother, son or friend. Nobody chooses that life. It sickens me that people can easily turn their heads away.

I know the feeling of wanting to fix this world crisis. It may at times feel like you are not making a difference, but you are. This post helps.