Thursday, July 5, 2012

It's log! :)

It's log! I saw this log and had to take it home. How could I not, right?  



This log is pear and is a really pretty color. I couldn't wait to get it home and get it cleaned up.

While I was working on another project, my son decided he wanted to take the bark off the log. I will never turn down a kid who is offering to work, so I let him have at it.

This was after 15 minutes or so.

About 45 minutes. Bark is a lot harder to get off a log than I thought. Well, than my son thought, I should say.

But, it was worth it! This log is beautiful!

I sanded it down and am letting it sit for a month to dry it out.

But, in the meantime, it makes for the best workbench I have ever had. I think I am going to sand it down again and then add a clear top coat. Might turn it into an end table. Maybe add a piece of glass and make a small table. I am thinking of selling it, but I really do like having it around, so might get more logs and make another.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love wood...I can almost smell the sawdust. lol. found you from blogging buddies.
Debbi
-yankeeburrowcreations

Miri boheme said...

So cute! I want my kid to learn how to de-bark a log!

Vanessa said...

Very cool! This reminds me of my Dad, he's been making log furniture lately!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! What a great find. :)

ChatterBlossom said...

Very pretty and yay for a new workbench in the meantime! ;-)