Monday, February 4, 2013

How to make an engraved log candle holder.


 I often get asked how to engrave logs. I love answering this as it involves the dremel, which just so happens to be my favorite tool. I could talk about it for hours.

To make an engraved log candle holder, first get a log that you think has pretty bark. I love trees and love picking out the prettiest logs. Once I find one that is just right, I cut it with the skilsaw. My skilsaw has a 12" blade, so I can cut through about 5 1/2". So much fun! 

Once I get the log cut, then I drill the hole for the tea light. Once I finish drilling, I then sand the top and bottom of the candle and get it ready to engrave.

Now the real fun begins! I freehand on the log whatever I need to have engraved. Writing on tree bark is not easy, but it can be done with just a little bit of effort.     
 When I like how it looks, I fire up the dremel.  I set the dremel on the highest speed and start engraving. Oh, I always wear goggles and a face mask as I don't like getting things in my eyes or in my lungs that should not be there. I would suggest the same for you.


 You will find that sometimes it is easier to turn the log than to try to maneuver the dremel. To each their own, but I will turn the log around many, many times just to get around a corner. 



Once you are finished, you will have a very pretty, personalized, engraved log candle holder. 






 



Dust it off and add a clear coat and wha-laa! 
Your own engraved log candle holder.

Cindy Breninger
Deerwood Creek Gifts

www.etsy.com/shop/DeerwoodCreekGifts 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! Power tools are so much fun aren't they? You make such pretty things.

BeadingByJenn said...

neat,thanks for sharing!! must be so much fun especially with endless inspirations!!! i love your candle holders!!